I’m squaring off with Luke Thomas of BloodyElbow.com in a head to head predictions battle for UFC 78. I was 3-0 in UFC 77, and won myself a nice profit of 7.5 units ($375).
The UFC 78 odds we are using, are located here. Each person can bet a max of 20 units on the card, and whoever wins the most units will be crowned the champion for UFC 78.
Thiago Alves (-185) vs. Chris Lytle (+155)
- I think this is a great betting spot for my strategy. Thiago Alves has been nothing short of dominant in his past few fights, and most of the MMA world has noticed. I always like going against a young, explosive fighter who is favored against a veteran. Lytle is a very tough fighter and he can hang with the best in the UFC. I’ve seen way too many people on Thiago’s side for this match, and as a small favorite that usually spells trouble.
My bet : 3 units ($150) on Chris Lytle +155 at Bodog
Spencer Fisher (-130) vs. Frank Edgar (+100)
- Spencer Fisher has been garnering a lot of support in the forums and blogs this week. I’ve seen a large amount of people wagering on him as if he was a lock to win this bout. Edgar is good enough on the ground to warrant a bet in this spot.
My bet : 1 unit ($50) on Frank Edgar +100 at BetUS
Akhiro Gono (-260) vs. Tamden McCrory (+200)
- This is a value play for me. Tamden has experience in the octagon, and Gono is making his UFC debut. I know Gono actually has more fighting experience than McCrory, but at +200 I can’t pass up a live underdog.
- My bet : 1 unit ($50) on Tamden McCrory +200 at Bodog
Justin’s picks recap
- 3 units – Chris Lytle +155
- 1 unit – Frankie Edgar +100
- 1 unit – Tamden McCrory +200